“The VSRC will encourage and promote professional excellence, advance the science and practice of respiratory care, and serve as an advocate for patients & their families, the public, and the profession of respiratory therapy.”
“The VSRC will continue to be a leader in the art and science of Respiratory Care throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia and beyond.”
“Professionalism, Collaboration, Innovation and Inclusion”
Advance the Science and Practice of Respiratory Care
Objective Promote the utilization of evidenced-based respiratory care.
Description Assure that the science that demonstrates the value and role of the respiratory therapist is made available to those stakeholders whose decisions and actions need to be guided by that information.
- Provide AARC approved CPG and White Paper links on VSRC website.
- Promote positive models of excellence in respiratory care.
- Encourage protocol-based care and the use of respiratory care plans at continuing education venues.
- Promote the development of evidence-based guidelines/ protocols and respiratory care plans for clinical practice.
Objective Advance the knowledge base and educational preparation of respiratory therapists to ensure competent patient care and to foster patient safety initiatives.
Description The VSRC will promote the continuing development of the respiratory care workforce by promoting formal educational programs and continuing education in order to ensure competent, safe and effective patient care, and provide for the transfer of new knowledge to clinical practice.
- Support existing educational programs in colleges and universities.
- Promote the continuing development of baccalaureate degree education in respiratory care.
- Encourage respiratory therapists to pursue advanced and continuing education.
- Encourage all respiratory therapists to seek and obtain the registered respiratory therapist (RRT) credential.
- Assist educational programs in recruitment of quality students by developing materials and methods which will present the profession positively and promote the profession.
Objective Encourage research and scientific inquiry to strengthen the scientific foundation and promote best practice for patient care.
Description Promote and provide forums for the respiratory therapist involved in research.
- Promote research presentations at state and national meetings.
- Promote the networking of scientific inquiry via the VSRC website and meeting networking.
Promote Professional Excellence
Objective Promote advanced practice, practice expansion and public recognition for respiratory therapists.
Description The VSRC strives to present the organization and profession in a positive light that reflects our contributions and the beneficial value of respiratory therapists.
- Assure that the science that demonstrates the value and role of the respiratory therapist is provided to those stakeholders whose decisions and actions need to be guided by that information. (PACT, Conference lectures, MUSE studies, Protocol resources.)
- Promote the profession through media outlets including radio, television and public service announcements.
- Attend and monitor the Virginia Board of Medicine Respiratory Care Advisory Board meetings, and provide input as necessary.
- Use the VSRC website and other electronic forums to communicate clinical resources available to promote positive models of excellence in respiratory care.
- Encourage protocol-based care and the use of respiratory care plans.
- Develop relationships and partnerships with other organizations that share the same goal of professional excellence.
- Mentor and develop new leaders from the respiratory care community within the VSRC.
Serve as an advocate for patients & families, the public and the Respiratory Therapy profession.
Objective The VSRC will advocate for the additional access of patients and families to the knowledge, skills and services of respiratory therapist.
Description Be a patient advocate by participating in legislation to advance access to qualified respiratory care professionals. Advance the knowledge base and educational preparation of respiratory therapists to ensure competent patient care and to foster patient safety initiatives. Inform and educate the public on our profession and its role as a patient respiratory therapy expert.
- Continue to monitor ongoing legislation on a state and national level using the Virginia Society’s and national Legislative liaison and Political Action Committee. Participate with the Virginia State Board of Medicine, state and national leaders as well as society membership to enhance patient advocacy.
- Provide educational opportunities by supporting seminars and ongoing education. Work with the Virginia State Board of Medicine in requirements of ongoing education to maintain license.
- Provide and promote public service announcements.
- Supply the AARC with information regarding VSRC efforts that enhance public awareness and health promotion.
- Utilizes AARC and state developed products to educate consumers on the role and practice of Respiratory Therapy.
- Provide information that educates and promotes Respiratory Therapy via the VSRC Website.
- Participate with other organizations to promote the profession of respiratory care and healthy lung health (e.g., VADMAC, ALA).